Monday, July 18, 2011

Inspired to Worship

Overwhelmed by the Weight

What inspires you to worship?

Is it the beauty of a sunrise?  Is it a particular song?

My children have led me to prayer and worship in so many ways and for so many reasons.


Responsible for Greatness

When I consider my role as a father I instantly feel overwhelmed by the weight of the responsibility.

Our children are not only “ours.”  They belong to God.  Our children don’t just look like us.  Our sons and daughters are made in the image of God.

So I pray.  I ask for a wise and understanding heart.  I pray for God’s eyes to see my children.  Their potential is incredible.  And I pray to cooperate with the Spirit to bring the best out of my children.

My children are young but I’m not going to wait until they are under peer pressure or rebelling to pray. 
I need God right now in order to lay a solid spiritual, intellectual and emotional foundation.

In Awe of God
I’ve always been in awe of beauty.  The beauty of a poem or the blue sky has often filled me with reverence for God.  Our Father has given me eyes to be in awe of the beauty and wonder of my children.

I’ve learned to worship God while holding them, feeding them or cleaning them up.  My children have repeatedly intruded and changed my devotional life.  Most of the change is because they don’t sleep at night.  But no matter how early I wake up to pray my children always find a way onto my lap.

So I worship God in song, in stillness, and in holding and laughing with my children.

Prayer and worship are part of my lifestyle with my children.  We don’t just pray when I’m tucking them into bed.  Prayer is part of my conversation and relationship with my children.  I’m grateful for God working that in my heart. 

I share this as a prayer for fathers (and mothers).  I pray that you would be humbled by the revelation of your responsibility and run after God.  I pray that you would see the handiwork of the Creator in their faces and be in awe of your Heavenly Father.

Thank you for reading this meditation.  Hope you feel me.

And please feel free to share your thoughts.

Your brother,

Minister Onorio

7 comments:

  1. I totally feel you on this one Minister.

    I find it incredible how God could inspire song writers to string words together in a way that draws you closer to Him. For example, when I hear the song by Israel Houghton, “To Worship You I Live”, it seems as if I am transplanted from my present circumstances into the presence of God.

    Also songs by Chris Tomlin like “How Great is Our God” also incites me worship and draws out the sometimes elusive tears of appreciation from eyes. Thank you for sharing this thought.

    Rod

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Brother Minister...This is down my alley. So many things inspire me to worship. Things that please the five senses, human relationships [my wife, children, parents, brothers,etc], the Word HIMSELF, various kinds of GOD-honoring music, a sermon, a single word, fragrant scents, the testimony of others, just the thought of HIS unfathomable love, trials, past victories...the list goes on and on...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brother Rod & Jeremy; thank you both for posting!
    Question: How was your devotional life with God impacted by your children? (Since your both dads, both musically inclined and very cerebral I am very curious).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brother Minister, I have tried to help them create their own by making it normal. They know when Daddy says it's time to "do school" to get their Bibles. Also, I try my best to take advantage of as many teachable moments as possible. So, devotion is woven into our relationship. I cannot assume they see the underlying messages sent to them via media and 'education'; so, I make it my business to leave them with something during just every conversation; however, I try to make it fun and funny...make teaching enjoyable and the students learn eagerly. I also, ask them to pray from time to time, so it is normal for them, even now...being a father is a devotional

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh that can preach! "Being a father is a devotional!"
    Yes, making it fun is a priority and seizing teachable moments. Its about our life, example and the story of life we help them to create.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah forget "Daddy Day Care", let's roll with "Daddy Devotional"!

    My kids an I "rock out" together as we sing - at the top of our voices
    - and sometimes to mommy's annoiance "Rockstar" by Third Day.

    The words and meaning of that song are so relevant to today's youth. We want the world, but only if it doesn't compromise our faith.

    There are many examples I can give, but one of the kid's favorites is when I tell one of my famous impromtu stories blending old classics,
    lilke the Three Little Bears with biblical principles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AnonymousJuly 29, 2011

    This year has been a year of over coming for me. With injuries to myself,out of work for half the year, Yet I was inspired to pray for those who've been out of work and in need. I was also led into praying for my wife and with her. I had to that God for this woman. Although I may be the head of the home(under God of course)But my wife has my back and helps me to keep my head up. With out a strong spine your head cannot lift on it's own. so I was led to just thank the Lord for her. After all sometimes we as men are overwhelmed by responsibility....Jay Mack

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive