Thursday, February 24, 2011

What on earth am I here for?

What on earth am I here for?

I believe most men ask this question. 

But many of us create our own answers.

Answers like:
“I am here to be successful.”
“I am here to have a good time.”
“I am here to get laid as often as I can.”
“I am here to spend as much as I can.”

Men don’t say these things directly.  But what we believe is revealed by how we spend our time, money and conduct our relationships. 

Most men find their greatest meaning in work.  Our purpose isn’t found in what we do like being a CEO, minister, husband or a father.  The work we do and the offices we occupy are gifts from God!  But most are temporary assignments and we suffer when we make work an end in itself. 

When what we do, becomes the reason for why we exist, we’ve created an idol out of a gift.

So then “What is the chief end of man?”  In other words, what is the ultimate reason that human beings exist? 

The answer“Man’s chief end is to glorify God and to enjoy him forever.”

We are to bring glory to God by who we are and in all we do.  Our worth is tied to our relationship with God.  We bear his image and likeness.  God’s glory in us is the revelation of his character and presence in Jesus Christ.

But is God really the center of our lives?

And we are to enjoy God forever.

To enjoy God means being open with God, being familiar with his presence.  It means we have experienced God and acknowledge that life is best when lived for him.  To enjoy God is to experience rest, peace and joy in our lives.

Or do we still put other pleasures before the pleasure of God? 

Putting God first and actually learning to enjoy God is impossible without the Holy Spirit.  But Jesus said all we have to do is ask for the Holy Spirit and the Father will give him to us. 

Father God I pray for my brothers to receive the gift of the Holy Spirit in a new way.  That they would seek to glorify you in all they believe, think, say and do.  I pray that they would have a hunger to know you, to experience you and enjoy the things of God like sharing, giving, loving and protecting.  Work this in our hearts because we exist to bring you glory and to enjoy you forever.  Amen.


Please post your thoughts below.

Your brother,

Minister Onorio

1 comment:

  1. On point Min. O! Pastor gave a great saying a few years back that liberated me from over-curiosity about my purpose in GOD's will. He said "Do the next thing that the HOLY SPIRIT tells you to do and you are walking in GOD's Will"...

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive